Monday 31 October 2011

Ragnarok: the End of the Gods (Myths)Ragnarok: the End of the Gods by A.S. Byatt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I will begin with accessibility. This is still in print and looking at Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ragnarok-Gods-M...) it is available; in hard cover, paperback, Kindle and audio editions. It is a beautiful book. The cover and images really add to the reading experience. The type face makes the book really readable. The references at the back of the book allow you to follow up the themes mentioned within this text. Therefore, I give this book 5/5 for accessibility and presentation.

The structure of this work is unusual. It combines the story of a young girl surviving WW11 with the story of the Nordic Gods to create a new tale. If the reviews on Goodreads are anything to go by, many readers find the structure problematic. But, I really like it. I thought that the combination of history and myth made the myths seem more alive and relevant. The structure weaves a web of stories, bringing to life our; mythological past, Historical experience and our dystopian future. My only reservation is that the style of this book could feel messy. But, it works for me. Therefore, I give this structure 5/5. The language is typical Byatt. If, like me, you respect her style of writing, then you will like this. But,If you don't like Byatt's writing style, then you won't like this work. I give this book 5/5 for language.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment