Tuesday 25 October 2011

The Bones of TimeThe Bones of Time by Kathleen Ann Goonan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I blame the Coode Street podcast for my addition to the this author. They raved about the Nanotech quartet and they motivated me to find the first book Queen City Jazz. I loved it and now I am reading the writers work. I will review Nanotech quartet when I have completed it. But since this is a single book, I will review it now.

I will begin with accessibility and presentation. The cover is great but the font is small. I had to get a second hand copy. So, I imagine that this book is out of print. (If publishers stumble upon this review. REPUBLISH THIS BOOK NOW.) So, the accessibility score will be quite low and will not reflect my feelings for this book or the author. I give 2/5.

The structure is complex, flying between two, or three, different eras. This could have made it a complex read. But, Goonan's artistry makes this book readable. Therefore, I give the book 5/5 for structure.

The world is futuristic but, in some-ways realistic. If you're one of those people who ask for absolute realism in predictions, then you might have issues with this book. We're now living in one of the time periods of this book. But we don't have all the technology. However, I do not judge sci-fi by its predictive abilities. Despite their futuristic dilemmas, the characters are well drawn and you care about them. The world seemed real and interesting even though I am not qualified to judge the realism of her descriptions of Tibet. I give the book 5/5.

The science, and the ethical issues that arise from it, made me consider the issues of; time, identity, imperialism and the limits of science. So, I give this book 5/5 for thematic content.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment