Friday 16 September 2011

Pigeon EnglishPigeon English by Stephen Kelman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I just finished Pigeon English. This was the third booker prize short-listed (2011) book that I have read. I must say that it didn't seem to have any impact on me at all. I scan read the final chapters. Perhaps, It was due to my allergy to books which have young working class boys as their main narrator/character. I had to read Kes and Billy Liar for my school exams and hated them. This has led me to have an allergy to these kind of books. Will this win the booker? My money, if I were a betting type, would still be on Julian Barnes. But, this stands a chance. It's what they like. It might remind them, as it does the blurb writer, of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It may also remind them of Kes, Billy Liar and other books in the long tradition books about working class boys, including Oliver Twist etc., Have you read this book? what did you think?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment