Friday 23 March 2012

The Trojan WomenThe Trojan Women by Euripides
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

why am I reading this I am reading this book since it is the chosen read of The Classics of the western Cannon reading group (Good read) http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1986...

summary This play is set in the aftermath of the Trojan wars. These events are viewed from the perspective of the Trojan Women. It shows their grief at the death of their husbands and children, following the defeat of the Trojan armies.It shows their fear of their future and of their future life in slavery.

Conclusion The stories of the women are heart breaking. The story of Casandra is particularly heart rending. Her sadness at the loss of her husband and son bring tears to the eyes. The play brings home the pain of war. And, since we are always at war, this book always seems timely and modern. I am glad that the reading group encouraged me to read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment