Friday 13 January 2012

1Q84: Book 1 and Book 21Q84: Book 1 and Book 2 by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This review will also consider 1q84 vol 3. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, 1Q84 is big very big and just as you think that you understand it it gets stranger. It is physically big, spilling into three volumes (with no less than 300 pages each). Since I have the Kindle version, I have no idea how much it weighs but I am betting it's not light weight. Its scope is surreal, (view spoiler). Thematically, it's large, covering; publishing, writing, gender, religion, cults, domestic violence, memory and revenge (just to name a few of its' themes). It also crosses many genre borders; literary fiction, magic realism, romance, mystery, horror, weird fiction, world fiction, Japanese fiction and (maybe) epic fantasy. I suggest that you plunge in feet first (or heart first) and enjoy bathing in this warm bath of a book. (thanks for the two headed god of Sword and Laser for that metaphor)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment